Sterling silver and hard stone fob seal set with a rectangular cut deep orange brown carnelian.
The richly decorated case is most handsome and would make a stunning addition to a vintage chain or bracelet.
Traditionally a seal was worn by a man at the end of his watch chain, nowadays it has become very popular to wear a seal as a pendant.
Another gem from the extensive collection of designs and craftsmanship at La Vogue Vintage.
Weight: 19.9 gm
Dimensions: 30mm height, base 20mm x 18mm
Did You Know?
- A Seal
- A devise that bears a monogram or design in intaglio to form an impress in relief in clay or wax.
- Wax was dripped onto a letter to seal it closed and a seal with family crest or initials would have been pressed into a warm malleable wax leaving an impression behind.
- From the 16th century seals were suspended from a chain around the neck, but later in the 17th century they were suspended from a watch chain around the waist fastened to a waist coat.
- A fob
- small ornament suspended from a watch chain. Fob originally refers to a small pocket in particular a mans small pocket in his trousers above the waistband.
- It is believed that carnelian is a good stone for stimulating creativity and restoring vitality and motivation.
- In ancient times it was believed to protect the dead in the journey to the afterlife.
- It gives courage and promotes positive life choices.